St. John's parish consists of around 1000 registered families.
We are served by a pastor, a deacon, a secretary, a director of
faith formation and a director of music.
Our parish secretary, Janet Gifford, has been a member of
the parish all her life and has served as secretary since May
1990. She is available from 9am to 3pm, Monday through
Friday. She may be reached at (860)848-1257.
Our director of faith formation is Sara Manwaring. She has
served in this capacity since July 2004 and can be reached at
(860)912-7436, or through e-mail at
Mary Beth Lee has been music director since September 2004.
She can be reached through the parish office at(860)848-1257
Rectory and Parish Office
22 Maple Avenue
Uncasville, CT 06382
Office of Faith Formation:
Phone: (860) 885-6290
Facts about the Parish
History of St. John the Evangelist Parish
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,
and the Word was God.
Over the years we have been served by a number of devoted and
committed priests, many of whom have gone on to higher
positions within the diocese. Many will remember Monsignors
Murphy, King, O'Brien, and Gadarowski, and Fathers Boisvert
The lay people have contributed faithfully to the parish over the
years through their loyalty to the priests who serve them, their
faith in the Church, their continuing financial support and their
willingness to serve their parish of St. John the Evangelist.
God bless St. John the Evangelist Parish, Uncasville, CT
SAINT JOHN THE EVANGELIST CHURCH
Montville's earliest history is immortalized in the person of
Uncas, Chief of the Mohicans. Only in the 1860's were there any
genuine signs of the Catholic faith in this region. Mass being
celebrated on occasion by priests of Saint Mary's Church in New
London. Eventually a small chapel was established and by 1870
Catholics seemed to number about 200.
The building which was to become the original church was built
as a stable in 1866. In 1887 the parish was canonically organized
with the Rev. James Connolly as pastor. From those humble
beginnings rose St. John the Evangelist Parish as we know it
As Montville changed from a rural farming community to a
summer and residential area the needs of the church changed.
Missions were established in Palmertown at All Saints Chapel,
the Gardner Lake area at St. Edward the Confessor, and
eventually Our Lady of the Lakes Chapel situated between
Oxoboxo and Gardners Lake which replaced St. Edwards. In
1966 Our Lady of the Lakes chapel was established as a parish
separate and distinct from St. John's.
The parish had undergone many changes due to the increasing
needs of a growing Catholic community. In 1951 a community
center was built to accommodate the catechetical, social and
recreational needs. 1957 the "new" St. John's Church with
seating for 560 persons was built and dedicated. A new rectory
was added in 1961 but the growth of the parish was not over. A
school building and convent followed in 1962 to fulfill the dream
of a parochial junior high in the parish.
Due to financial concerns the junior high was closed in 1972.
The building is currently leased to the Natchaug Hospital for
educational purposes and the convent is used for the offices of
Faith Formation and the music ministry.
Web Site Administrator